Doing Me

"...i'm just doing me, I'm just doing me me me me, why don't you do you, that's what you should do do do do."

I came across this song whilst listening to a playlist on Deezer, Doing Me by Ray Blk. The words in this song really spoke to me, she talks about being herself and not worrying about what other people think of her, and that she should be allowed to dress however she wants to without being judged.

I remember I used to really care what people thought of me, so much so that even one negative comment would play on my mind for days or weeks and I would take their word as the truth. Since going to therapy I've learnt that I'm too nice, too polite and when I have an opinion I usually keep it to myself in order to keep the peace, even if I passionately disagree. I also have in the past taken on people's judgements and comments and believed them, I didn't ask for them, they were thrust upon me and I simply had to accept them as the truth. Well now I don't accept people's comments or judgements about me. I am me, and I don't need anyone's negative comments or opinions about who I am or how I should look. If I want to do something or wear something I don't need to explain myself or give a reason why.

I just think that it's so important to "do you", and I'm only 25 years old, but it's taken me probably 25 years to come to that realisation. I'm not going to apologise for who I am, I could be the ripest, juiciest peach in the world, but there's still going to be somebody who hates peaches.

Hayley x

Comments

Popular Posts